Wednesday, September 14, 2022

16 years 3 months and counting.

I am still here and still undetectable. Life is pretty good. I was able to complete the lions share of the chores I had planned for this past summer and was even able to spend a lot of time on the water recreating. Life seems to be slowing down and I feel as though I have entered a time of peace and contentment. I wish my sweetheart could retire with me but at this time in our lives it just doesn’t seem to be in the cards for a while. Maybe if I had a rich uncle that kicked the bucket I would be able to make that happen but I think I have a better shot at winning Powerball and truth be told I don’t play the lottery. Personally I feel like I won the lottery the day I met Amanda. Living in the country certainly has been a blessing. Right now I’m sitting in the hot tub looking out at the woods that surround our home writing this post. The leaves are starting to turn and there is a chill in the night air. As wet as the last winter and spring were I can’t believe I’m saying this but I really wish the rain would arrive. We need it. Ever since Covid started in 2020 my patient advocacy work has pretty much went down the toilet. I often think of starting it up again but truth be told I lack motivation. Maybe that’s what this post is but probably not. I live in the middle of nowhere so playing an active role in a support group is off the table. I haven’t been playing any music however we did recently start rehearsing again. It is comforting to know that even though I am now 58 years old and have been living with advanced prostate cancer these past 16 years three months and one week I can still tear it  up on a slalom ski behind our boat.


On a positive note my oncologist signed off on knee replacement for me and I have an appointment next Friday to discuss it with a surgeon. If I am able to have a knee replacement I’m hoping it will come after mid November. Elk hunting season always starts the first weekend in November in our neck of the woods and I don’t want to miss it. I would rather hobble around like an old crippled guy then miss spending 10 days in the woods with my buddies chasing elk. 

I lost another friend to this shitty disease yesterday! We knew it was coming. He had been going downhill for a long time and yet nothing could change his attitude and zest for life. He choked the life out of every single day until the very end. He will be missed. Sonny was a true beacon of inspiration. I never met him personally but I shared treasured phone conversations with him. His attitude was infectious. I believe he is in a better place and out of pain but those of us who remain have lost a beautiful human being. God speed Sonny.

Sometimes I think that is the reason I have moved away from advocacy. Losing friends sucks. I guess however, it is in evitable. We must all say goodbye for a while whether we have cancer or not and I am getting older. It feels good to say that. I am getting older. I have been blessed in so many ways. I am so thankful for my life and for the many friends this disease has brought into it.

 


2 comments:

  1. Recovery Concepts LLC provides medically assisted treatment for people who are going through opiate addiction. Our certified team will develop an addiction treatment plan based on specific needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prostate Cancer Treatment Cost in India - Prostate cancer treatment in India combines advanced medical technologies with personalized care. Renowned hospitals offer a spectrum of options, including surgery, radiation, and targeted therapies. Expert oncologists employ a multidisciplinary approach for comprehensive patient management. Accessible healthcare and cutting-edge treatments contribute to successful outcomes in prostate cancer care across the country. Visit: Liver Cancer Treatment Cost in India

    Ovarian Cancer Treatment Cost in India

    Breast Cancer Surgery Cost in India


    Best Hospital for Prostate Cancer Treatment in India

    ReplyDelete