Friday, September 13, 2019

Day 1 update

    Yesterday I felt fantastic. I felt better yesterday than I have in months. None of this made sense to me. Androgen deprivation therapy is not exactly quick acting. Once you receive your injection it takes a while for it to get into your system. PSA has a half-life of two weeks therefore there’s no way there was a reduction in PSA. I was trying to figure out why I felt so good. It hit me this morning. It was the prednisone. To me this is the only logical explanation. I am speculating that my adrenal gland may have started up somewhat but still has not been working the way that it should prior to Zytiga. With this in mind, it stands to reason that my body has not been producing enough of its own steroid for the last several months. This would cause my joints to ache and my muscles to ache and nothing to really work the way it supposed to. Once I started taking prednisone again my body stopped hurting and I had more energy. There is a negative side of this. I haven’t slept very well the last couple of nights. Maybe my body doesn’t need as much sleep now that it’s getting the steroid it needs to function correctly or maybe the prednisone is keeping me awake until I adjust to it again. Either way I feel better and I’m not falling asleep at work which is a bonus. Not only that I felt so good yesterday that I dug a ditch approximately a foot deep and 10 foot long, install the drain pipe off my downspout and refilled the ditch in an hour. I could not have done that two days ago.
   Last night my mind would not shut down. I spent a good portion of the hours I should’ve been sleeping thinking about prostate cancer. Imagine that! In my mind I was doing mathematics regarding PSA doubling time. I realized that with a doubling time of 4 weeks it would only take another 10 months for my PSA to reach my prediagnosis level of 3200. Try sleeping with that on your mind. As terrible as I had been feeling with a PSA of just over 3, I couldn’t stop thinking how bad I would feel with a PSA of 3200. The thought then occurred to me that if treatment ever stopped working I would probably only have a couple years left to live. It was a long night. I guess I must have nodded off around 1:00 a.m. My usual bedtime is 9:00 p.m.
   When I woke up at 5 it hit me that my discomfort was not cancer symptoms but rather a lack of steroid. I call that a gift. 
   I am not looking forward to treatment side effects. I will be sending my doctor an e-mail today suggesting that the next time I am on treatment holiday ( if there is a next time ) that prior to restarting we base that decision on imaging and not just PSA. Todd


  1. The article was up to the point and described the information very effectively. Thanks to blog author for wonderful and informative post.
    Trusted Health Supplement

  2. This is best information, that i read in your post. make more such type of post and infor us thanku.
    cancer blog