Thursday, May 26, 2016

State track, Graduation, and Disneyland.

   I met my daughter when she was 7. Her blonde hair, blue eyes, pouty lips, and an independent disposition made for a mix of one part nitro, one part T.N.T. and a small nuclear bomb added for good measure. She was stubborn and opinionated from the Get-Go. Love love love. It is hard to believe that Tuesday was her last day in high school. 
  Tonight Mandy and I will hop in the camper to take the 6 hour trip to Eatern University in Cheney, WA. to watch her compete in her final sports event. Time marches on!
   To say that life is going to change would be an understatement. For 6 years our life has revolved around Michaela and athletics. Summer basketball, summer volleyball, insanity summer drills, volleyball, basketball, track, district and state competition has kept us on the move all but a few short weeks a year. It will end on Saturday. I don't know how I feel about that. Perhaps melancholy is the most suitable word and yet it is seasoned with happiness and pride.

  I am very proud of her. She was never a star athlete but she made it to State Finals in 3 sports for 3 consecutive years. She was never an all-star scholar but this year she mad the Honor Roll both semesters. Life is going to change. After all, life is about change isn't it?
   Michaela graduates next Saturday. Amanda will cry. Most likely I would cry as well but I am bringing the Naster-Blaster. If you don't know what it is you should google it. I have found it to evoke chronic laughter whenever it is used.
  When my eldest son graduated I was poor. When my eldest daughter and my youngest son graduated I was a junky. I was also still poor but for different reasons. When Michaela graduated June 4th we are sending her and my eldest daughter to Disneyland for a little sister bonding time. It feels good to be able to do something like that for them. 
  I am so grateful for these last 10 years. My life has changed. It became the life I always wanted. I am thankful that I got to experience one of my kids senior year. I got to do all of the things I missed out on when my adult children were in high school. My life is amazing to me. I can only guess what it looks like to those who view it from a distance. What does it mean when you get to watch all of your dreams come true. 
   When I began writing it was by suggestion. "Tell your story. Men need to hear it" Thank you Andrew:-))) Writing this blog has given dimension to grateful. It has opened my eyes daily as to how wonderful my life really is. Some people define success by their financial prosperity and a country club membership. Our bank account will never afford us luxury by that standard but make no mistake, Amand and I are rich. Friendship, love, adventure, family. There is nothing more we could ask for.



No comments:

Post a Comment