Saturday, May 7, 2016

Ultrasound guided transrectal prostate biopsy


  Wow! Say that three times real fast. The title of this post should actually be "you're going to put what where?" The prostate biopsy is no picnic. Looking back on those early days it was, for me at least, one of the very lowest times of my life. There is no doubt that having CT scans and bone scans were intimidating but the biopsy made everything real. I have only experienced one biopsy and I hope that I may never have to experience another one. This post is for guys who are having the procedure done and are curious. As I have zero knowledge of anyone else's procedure this will simply be an account of my own.
Prior to the procedure I was instructed to not eat and was given something to evacuate my bowels. I was also given some serious antibiotics.
   In my case the biopsy was an "in-office" procedure. I arrived at my urologist at approximately 9 AM. After his medical assistant checked my blood pressure, weight, oxygen and temperature, I was instructed to undress from the waist down, lay on the gurney, and cover myself with a sheet. A short time later, my urologist entered with two young nursing students and the procedure began. I was instructed to lay on my side and pull my legs up toward my chest. My uro inserted the probe into my rectum and began to move it around while explaining what he was seeing on the monitor to the nursing students. Occasionally I heard a clicking sound as the needle removed core samples from my prostate. It was uncomfortable and sort of nauseating but not what I would call painful. It was also the most humiliating demoralizing experiences of my life. Tears streamed down my face and there was nothing I could do to stop them. The entire procedure lasted about 15 minutes. When it was over I dried my eyes, cleaned myself up, and got dressed. I experienced blood in my urine and stool for about a week after. I have heard of some patients being put under anesthesia for their biopsy. I was not so fortunate. If I knew what to expect I would have requested it. Quite honestly it was the worst experience of this entire 10 year journey but it was  quick and reletively painless. Good luck guys. I hope this post helps. Todd
   

No comments:

Post a Comment