Saturday, June 24, 2017

Sick in the pit

   My last PSA was midway through January. The last time I saw my doctor was mid-March.
I feel good I think.
  Yesterday I bought two tickets to the Matchbox 20, Counting Crows, concert. The concert is on July 19th. I just realized that is two days after my Oncology appointment and I have had a sick feeling in my stomach ever since. Why? I don't know. Maybe because it will be 6 months since my blood work has been done. Maybe because it has never been so long between PSA tests. Maybe because I am approaching 4 years on Zytiga. I am worried. I use to wish I could go longer without PSA tests. What I realize now however is that each good test result fed my confidence that the next blood test would also be good. It was also easier to rationalize that evennof it did go, there was no way it could go up very much.
     I have waited over 12 years to see matchbox 20. They are one of my favorite bands. Rob Thomas is a terrific writer. I guess you can say it a bucket list item. When the band broke up I thought it would never happen.
 

   The longest anyone has been on Zytiga is 8 years. There are a bunch of guys who have been on it for 6 years. My understanding is that the average time on the drug is 1 year.  A good friend of mine was on it for 44 months and recently went to Xtandi. It has not been a smooth transition!  Will we be celebrating at the concert or wondering about the future? It all depends on my labs.
   I still feel really good but unfortunately, that doesn't mean much. These disease exhibits very few symptoms until it is widespread. 
I have been tired. I usually wake up before the alarm. Lately I wake up to the alarm and often hit snooze. Amanda is doing the same though and I am certain she does not have prostate cancer. I am 53. I work hard and on top of that we are painting the house, prepping for new carpet, and trying to get our winter firewood supply cut and put away.
   Lately my teeth have been failing. Mostly it is from crowns failing that I have had for many years but there are 2 in particular that have very little original tooth left and may need to be extracted and implants installed in their stead. I have been on Zometa for 4 years. Implants will have to wait a minimum of 3 more months. Today as I sit in this chair awaiting the dentist I am on the verge of tears. Quite frankly, this sucks!
   My tooth can't be saved. I need two implants and a 3 tooth bridge. Does anybody have 5K I can have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment